Gennaro Gattuso wants Napoli to respect Juventus when it clashes in the Coppa Italia final at the Stadio Olimpico, early morning. But, the coach nicknamed El Rino wants I Partenopei to show his best ability to win the title.
Gattuso has changed his profession as a coach since 2013. However, despite having coached several clubs, the Italian skipper always failed to win the title. Now the opportunity to end the wait is insight.
The former AC Milan defender and coach will win his inaugural trophy if Napoli can beat Juventus. ‘There is never a good time to face Juventus. I think that’s part of their DNA, and the history of the club is always ready to compete,’ said Gattuso.
Gattuso recognizes Juventus as a great team because it has a long history and good achievements. Therefore, he wants the Napoli squad to respect Cristiano Ronaldo et al. But, that does not mean giving up the title for granted. Moreover, this can be considered a special match.
‘Over the years they have good consistency and mentality. We have to respect them. But, we also have to fight with all our strength to win the title,’ continued Gattuso, reported Skysports.
This duel can also be considered as betting the reputation of two coaches. Just like Gattuso, Maurizio Sarri who now gushes Juventus is also pursuing his first title in Italy. But, for Gattuso, this is far more important.
‘I like everything about him (Maurizio Sarri). I will not refute it. I have said this many times. I copied and pasted the tactic many times in the last few years. I saw a lot of videos about how he managed the back row,’ he said.
Dries Mertens officially signed a new contract with Napoli
Napoli star Dries Mertens officially signed a new contract with Napoli on Wednesday (6/17/2020) just hours before Napoli is scheduled to take part in the final of the 2019/2020 Coppa Italia. The Belgian striker stayed at the Stadio San Paolo until 2022.
Previously, the Mertens contract expired at the end of the season. The situation led to speculation that the player was chased by Chelsea and Inter Milan, who were later said to offer far better wages than the package made by Napoli.
Ciro – the title given by Napoli fans to Mertens – claims to have reached an agreement to remain at Napoli in May 2020. However, the club made an official announcement just four days after Mertens took over Marek Hamsik as the club’s all-time top scorer.
‘Napoli is pleased to announce that we have agreed on terms with Dries Mertens for a new contract with the club,’ Napoli said.
‘Mertens has signed a two-year contract extension with the option to renew one third.’
Club president Aurelio De Laurentiis added on his official Twitter account: ‘It’s nice to be together for a long time, long live Dries!’
The 33-year-old moved to Napoli in 2013 after appearing impressive for two years with PSV Eindhoven. Since then he has scored 122 goals in all competitions, including 90 in Serie A.